February 24, 2021
Receipt of a Pesticide Petition Filed for Residues of Pesticide Chemicals in or on Various Commodities (February 2021)
Filed on: 02/24/2021 at 8:45 am Scheduled Pub. Date: 02/25/2021
- [RT @FoodSafetyTech]: FDA to Take Questions in Advance of 2021 Food Safety Consortium – https://foodsafetytech.com/news_article/fda-to-take-questions-in-advance-of-2021-food-safety-consortium/… – http://foodsafetytech.com
- @CDCgov announced an outbreak related to pet turtles carrying Salmonella bacteria that have caused 22 illnesses, including 1 death. All reptiles & amphibians can carry Salmonella. Have or thinking about getting a pet amphibian or reptile? Know the risks.
February 25, 2021
Fruit and Vegetable Industry Advisory Committee
Filed on: 02/25/2021 at 8:45 am Scheduled Pub. Date: 02/26/2021
Listeria monocytogenes – Hispanic-style Fresh and Soft Cheeses (February 2021) [Note: Outbreak Alert updated 2/24. FDA expanded warning to include all El Abuelito brand cheeses]
|Date||Brand Name||Description||Product Type||Recall Reason||Company|
|02/24/2021||El Abuelito, Rio Grande, Rio Lindo||Queso Fresco||Food & Beverages||Listeria monocytogenes||El Abuelito Cheese, Inc.|
- Out of an abundance of caution, and due to the severity of Listeria infection, FDA is expanding its warning to include all El Abuelito brand cheeses until more information is known. https://go.usa.gov/xskC8
- Consumers, restaurants, and retailers should not eat, sell, or serve any El Abuelito cheeses products with “sell by” dates through 03/28/21, distributed to CT, MD, NC, NJ, NY, PA, and VA.
- Millions of men & women on the front lines have answered the call as essential workers in support of the food supply. We thank them. Today, FDA posted a new web resource on #COVID19 vaccination for food & agriculture sector employers. https://go.usa.gov/xsKyA
- FDA is committed to helping parents/caregivers make informed and healthful nutritional decisions for infants. We’re sharing a public health alert today to make clear that there are serious health and safety concerns with homemade infant formulas. We advise against its use.
- FDA is committed to protecting the health of the American people and upholding the safety of our food supply. Additional information will be provided on this ongoing Listeria investigation as it becomes available. https://go.usa.gov/xskC8
- We must continue to do all we can to support a safe and ample food supply. FDA’s new webpage provides resources and info for food and agriculture workers on #COVID19 vaccination.
- 40+ years as a public servant and I’m finally sending my first tweet! Honored to serve our nation once again alongside USDA’s dedicated public servants.
- @US_FDA continues to warn parents and caregivers NOT to make and feed their infants homemade formula. We have recent adverse event reports of hospitalized infants suffering from hypocalcemia (low calcium) that had been fed homemade infant formula. https://go.usa.gov/xskbS
- The FDA strictly regulates commercially available infant formulas but does not regulate recipes for homemade formulas. FDA does not recommend that consumers make infant formulas at home because of serious health and safety concerns.
- Do not eat, sell, or serve El Abuelito brand cheeses or recalled queso fresco cheeses. Due to the severity of #Listeria infection and an abundance of caution, @US_FDA is expanding its warning to include ALL El Abuelito brand cheeses until more is known. https://go.usa.gov/xskxg
- According to the firm’s website, this includes queso fresco, Oaxaca cheese, cotija cheese, and crema. https://facebook.com/abuelitocheese
- Farmers grow GMO crops to prevent insect damage and plant viruses. What are the other reasons for growing GMOs? https://fda.gov/food/agricultural-biotechnology/how-gmo-crops-impact-our-world #FeedYourMind
February 26, 2021
U.S. Supply Chains; Strengthening Efforts (EO 14017)
Filed on: 02/26/2021 at 8:45 am Scheduled Pub. Date: 03/01/2021
- Alcohol-based hand sanitizers that are packaged in containers that may appear as food or drinks may put you at risk of serious injury or death if ingested. https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/covid-19-update-fda-warns-consumers-about-hand-sanitizer-packaged-food-and-drink-containers
- Wasted food presents a huge challenge to our natural resources, our environment, & our wallets. Learn how you can join us in reducing food waste. Our video helps you learn about how you can take action to reduce food waste, starting today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgKdI0FF1XE&feature=youtu.be
- One reason we have GMOs is to grow more food on less land. But that’s not the only reason. https://fda.gov/food/consumers/agricultural-biotechnology… #FeedYourMind
- I hope that our online agricultural biotechnology curriculum for students will help educate and spark their curiosity into the exciting fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) and food agriculture. https://go.usa.gov/xs853
- REMINDER: FDA continues to advise parents and caregivers to not make or feed homemade infant formula to infants because of serious health and safety concerns. See yesterday’s FDA Safety Alert. https://go.usa.gov/xskj3
- The potential problems with homemade formulas include contamination and absence of, or inadequate amounts of, critical nutrients, which are serious. Consequences range from severe nutritional imbalances to foodborne illnesses, both of which can be life-threatening.
- Parents and caregivers with infants who have consumed homemade formula should contact their health care provider.
- Today, containing the pandemic, ensuring racial justice and equity, addressing climate change and nutrition insecurity, and building fairer markets and stronger rural communities are our priorities. Our brightest days are ahead. Let’s get to work!