AFDO Educational Conference presentations
Sunday, June 11, 2023
Sunday, June 11, 2023
8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
Self-Assessment and Verification Audit Workshops
This workshop is specifically designed for state, local, territorial, and tribal regulatory agencies. It is recommended that participants from regulatory agencies be program managers or staff responsible for working on self-assessments or preparing for verification audits.
Registration will be capped at two per jurisdiction and will close once capacity is reached. A waitlist will then be created.
- Christine Applewhite, Retail Food Specialist, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Katherine Del Mundo, Retail Food Specialist, U.S.Food and Drug Administration
- Katey Kennedy, Retail Food Specialist, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Steve Nattrass, Retail Food Specialist, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Valerie Potopsingh, Retail Food Specialist, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Carolyn White, Retail Food Specialist, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
8:00 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.
IFPTI Fellowship Presentations
Assessment of Inspector Confidence in Conducting Manufactured Food Inspections in Virginia
- Rashelly Bland, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
The Relationship between Employee Health and Hygiene Violations and Foodborne Illness Complaints
- Caitlin Ebner, City of Minnetonka, Minnesota
Evaluation of High Priority Establishments’ Readiness for Emergencies in Tulsa County
- Aaron Greenquist, Tulsa County, Oklahoma
Handwashing Violations in Georgia Food Sales Establishments: Automatic vs. Traditional Handwashing Sinks
- Amy Hoover, Georgia Department of Agriculture
Intergenerational Factors Influencing Food Safety Inspection Staff Retention
- Krisden Ingram, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
Characterization of Food Safety complaints in Loudoun County, VA
- George Khan, Loudoun County, Virginia
Risk Factor Assessment of Sushi Rice Operations: HACCP vs TPHC
- Mailee Moua, Hennepin County, Minnesota
African Swine Fever Virus: Has Recent Supply Chain Availability Impacted Biosecurity Measures in Washington State Leading to an Increased Risk of Introduction?
- Vianca Philpotts, Washington State Department of Agriculture
Relationship between Retail Food Facility Risk Rating and Observed Food Code Violations in Lubbock, TX
- Charles Seifert, City of Lubbock, Texas
Impact of Food Packaging Supply Chain Disruptions Due to SARS-CoV-2 Pandemic on Small Michigan Food Manufacturers
- Susan Anne Teegardin, Michigan Department of Agriculture and Rural Development
11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
12:30 p.m. – 2:00 p.m.
FDA Office of Partnerships Updates
- Wendy Campbell, Director, Division of Partnership Investments and Agreements, Office of Partnerships, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
2:00 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Podcast Recording of Food Safety Talk
- Benjamin Chapman, Ph.D., Department Head, Professor, North Carolina State University
SAFHER: YOU-ser Centered Design “Building the Future Together”
- Kellie Isaac, Chief Innovation Officer, Association of Food and Drug Officials
- Jennifer Pierquet, SAFHER Deputy Director, Association of Food & Drug Officials
- Meridith Pushnik, Director, Experience Design and Strategy, Slalom
IFSS Regulatory Training Strategic Plan
- Alan Tart, Deputy Director, Office of Partnerships, U.S. Food and Drug Administration
- Jennifer Trodden, Deputy Commissioner, New York Department of Agriculture and Markets
3:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m.
First-Time Attendee Orientation
AFDO considers first-time attendees to be VIPs at the Annual AFDO Conference. If this is your first AFDO meeting, we invite you to attend the First-Time Attendee Welcome Reception being held in your honor. During the session, you will have the opportunity to meet AFDO alumni, fellows, and the other first-time attendees; learn about AFDO and its affiliate organizations; and find out about the exciting events that will take place during the 2023 conference.
4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
- Steven Mandernach, Executive Director, Association of Food and Drug Officials
Welcome from CASA
- Erik Bungo, Produce Safety Program Supervisor, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services and CASA Representative to the AFDO Board of Directors
Welcome from Virginia
- Joseph Guthrie, Commissioner, Virginia Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services
IFPTI: Cohort XI Graduation Ceremony
- Gerald Wojtala, Executive Director, International Food Protection Training Institute (IFPTI)
Endowment Foundation Address
- Doug Saunders, Endowment Foundation Board
- Elisabeth Wirsing, Sr. Environmental Health Program Manager, Division of Environmental Health, Vermont Department of Health
Glenn W. Kilpatrick Memorial Conversation on Food Safety Leadership
- Stephen Ostroff, M.D., Ostroff Consulting, LLC and Michael R. Taylor, Board Member Emeritus, Stop Food Illness moderated by Joseph Corby, Senior Board Advisor, Association of Food and Drug Officials
6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m.
Endowment Foundation Benefit Event
Warm up your vocal cords and get ready to sing the night away! If you’ve never tried karaoke before, here is your chance. We’ll have a live DJ with a playlist of songs from both the latest hits and older classics. And when you are not crooning, check out the 360 Photo Booth. It is a fun rotating platform that captures slow motion video in real time. Don’t worry — we will show you how to capture your best keepsake for sharing or just remembering this “don’t miss” event. It’s as easy as standing on the platform while the camera arm rotates slowly creating a dramatic effect. This experience is a hot trend at the Grammys and A-list celebrity parties! Now YOU can be the star.