Inspector Boot Camp – Soft Skills / General Training
This event has ended
January 10, 2023
About the Training
AFDO is again hosting its one-of-a-kind “Inspector Boot Camp” in 2023 on Tuesdays, January 10, 17, and 24. Each day will include a four-hour training session; select the morning (East Coast edition, 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. EST) or the afternoon (West Coast edition, 1:00 to 5 p.m. EST). Registration will automatically close once the sessions are full at 450 people.
The live virtual training is geared to both retail and manufactured food inspectors (with two years or less experience). Sessions cover both soft and technical skills, followed by interactive facilitated breakout discussions. The goal of this training is for all participants to share experiences, hear from other inspectors and jurisdictions, learn from each other, and network – all while gaining additional tools and knowledge to help be better prepared in the field.
During this training, inspectors will:
- Apply more risk-based approaches to conduct quality inspections
- Learn how to leverage evidence to support the writing of accurate, valid inspection reports
- Identify the signs of an effective (or ineffective) pest control system
- Identify strategies to effectively de-escalate conflict and potential violence
- Modify body language to offset cultural differences and respect diversity while overcoming language barriers
Inspectors from local, state, and federal jurisdictions with two years or less experience in their food safety careers are encouraged to register as individual participants. When signing up, select either the East or West Coast registration option. All participants will attend the initial January 10 session covering soft skills and general training topics. Then attendees will select retail food and/or manufactured food tracks for technical training.
This training has been approved for up to 12 CEUs through NEHA. Participants will receive a certificate of completion for each date of training and are encouraged to attend at least two (if not all three) of the training dates to take advantage of the complete topics.
- Jan 10 east coast session – FULL
Advanced Boot Camp – also available!
In addition to the Inspector Boot Camp, AFDO has added two virtual Advanced Boot Camp training days. These will be held on Wednesday, February 8, and Wednesday, February 15, 2023. If you attended boot camp in 2022 or have more than two years of experience, these sessions are for you. More details, including the registration link for the Advanced Boot Camp, are available below:
The Advanced Boot Camp will cover information for both retail and manufactured food-focused inspectors. During this training, inspectors will:
- Understand how to identify special processes and review food safety plans
- Recognize and shape Food Safety Culture using proven behavior science principles
- Identify what makes a foodborne illness investigation different from our routine work
- Feel empowered to be a lifelong learner and understand the benefits of this mind-set
If you have questions about these free training opportunities or would like more information, please email Autumn Schuck at email@example.com.